To uphold the spirit of the RTI Act and secure every citizen’s Right to Information
by facilitating access to information under the control of public authorities in
order to promote transparency and accountability in the working of every such authority
and develop an informed citizenry.
With the enactment of the Right to Information Act, 2005, the fact that the right
to information is a fundamental right flowing from Articles 19(1)(a) and 21 of the
Constitution of India has now been well settled. The ultimate aim of the Right to
Information Act is to have a well informed citizenry, which is aware of its rights,
and well trained officers of public authorities who are aware of their duties and
functions under the Act. A Government committed to effective implementation of the
Act together with active participation of non-governmental organizations and other
activists and with an active Information Commission would be able to achieve the
desired results. The State Information Commission of Uttar Pradesh, which came into
being on 14-09-2005 is on the forefront to achieve the goals enshrined in the Right
to Information Act, 2005 to mould an informed citizenry, to promote transparency
of information held by or under the control of the public authorities, contain corruption,
and to hold governments and its instrumentalities accountable to the governed.
Our Key Commitments to the Stakeholders of RTI Act
- Secure every citizen’s Right to Information by giving full effect to the provisions
of the RTI Act. Ensure fair and time- bound disposal of Appeals and Complaints filed
before the Commission.
- Facilitate suo moto disclosure of most information as per Section 4 and updation
of the same routinely by public authorities.
- Ensure that daily affairs and interaction with stakeholders are conducted in a fair,
reasonable and courteous manner and requisite assistance is provided, where required.
- Ensure that processes/procedures/rules of the Commission are clear,
unambiguous and readily available. The Commission will strive to provide most information
under Section 4.
Services to attain Vision and Mission Statement
- All Appeals and Complaints filed under Section 18 and 19 of the RTI Act will be
decided as expeditiously as possible.
- Steps will be taken to ensure that all public authorities including the Commission,
disclose the prescribed categories of information suo moto. The Commission will
monitor whether such information is being updated periodically.
- Recommendations will be made to public authorities to take steps for conforming
with, or promoting the spirit of the RTI Act. This may be done by the Commission
by way of its decisions, and by holding meetings, seminars and training programs.
- Efficient work practices will be adopted within every section of the Commission.
This includes, among others, regular entry and updation of relevant records, speedier
movement of files/correspondence, proper maintenance of files/documents, response
to communications received by the Commission in a reasonable time.
- Efforts will be made to impart the requisite skills and training
among officers, staff and other persons working in the Commission so that the work
delivered is of high quality and standard.